Stories / October 2019

D R Harris: The most modern of Bicentenarians

Over 200 years old, but thoroughly modern in every sense, D R Harris’s grooming products are just what a gentleman needs in his bathroom cabinet.

The apothecary D R Harris takes its name from its two founders, messrs Henry Harris, a surgeon, and Daniel Rotely (D.R), a pioneering pharmaceutical chemist. The story of this now legendary gentleman's groomers begins just before 1790 at No. 11 St. James’s Street where Harris’s Apothecary set up shop. Over the next 50 years the family established a reputation selling Lavender Water, Classic Cologne and English Flower perfumes to this fashionable quarter of London.

For over two centuries this family business in the centre of men’s Clubland has served the gentry and the court of St. James’s and in 1938 was awarded the warrant as chemists to her Majesty The Queen, later the Queen Mother which was held until her death in 2002. In 2002 D R Harris were also appointed as Chemists to His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales, an honour that was added to in 2012 when they had the Royal Warrant for Her Majesty the Queen bestowed upon them. Today the brand continues to offer outstanding levels of service at their traditional Chemists’ shop at 29 St. James’s Street, which includes much of the original furniture. Their fine selection of soaps, shaving creams, aftershaves and colognes, skincare products and much more, continue to appeal to all those who appreciate quality and distinction the world over.

 

Tags

Contributor

Ryan Thompson